This collection contains 794 images comprising 122 years of history in Vergennes, Vermont’s oldest city. Featuring a wide range of topics, which date from the 1866 Civil War parade to the 1988 Bicentennial, the collection provides a comprehensive...
This collection contains 794 images comprising 122 years of history in Vergennes, Vermont’s oldest city. Featuring a wide range of topics, which date from the 1866 Civil War parade to the 1988 Bicentennial, the collection provides a comprehensive and unusual look at small town life in northern Vermont. These photographs document the full visual spectrum of history in Vergennes, from businesses, industries, and transportation to natural scenery, paintings, and portraits of people who once walked the city’s streets.
These images were scanned from 35mm slides located in the Bixby Memorial Free Library archives in Vergennes. The slides were made around 1987 from color photographs taken of the original images. The originals, mainly of the Vergennes area but including several from Ferrisburgh and Lake Champlain, had accumulated over the years in the library’s historical materials repository. Many of these photographs, along with the slides and accompanying inventory notebook, can be viewed with permission at the library.
The authors of these photographs remain undocumented and anonymous, except for a selection of photographs by local artist Harvey Custer Ingham (1863-1931), a personal friend of local businessman and library founder William Gove Bixby (1829-1907).
Mr. Bixby left funds from his estate for the founding of a public library in the city of Vergennes, including the construction of the imposing Greek revival library building on Main Street. The library opened on November 4, 1912, and in 2012 celebrates a century of continued service to Vergennes and the surrounding towns of Addison, Panton, Waltham, and Ferrisburgh.
Hickok's Dock and Hickok's Point. Picture taken 1895. Hickok's Point is about midway between Ft. Cassin and Basin Harbor on the Vermont side. Hickok's served as a landing place for the "Water Lily" and the "Nellie" on their trips to Vergennes and Westport.... more
The Str. Reindeer, built at St. Albans in 1882 (181' x 27' x 9'), was the largest to navigate Otter Creek. This picture shows her at Vergennes in her trimmer and more youthful days, before the life of an Excursion boat made her sag in the middle. In the gay Nineties, it was a common... more
This Ferry ran from Arnold's bay in Panton to Westport, New York. It was chartered in 1795 to Peter Ferris of Panton then to Friend Adams then to Loyal Spaulding then to Patric Simon who ran it till 1910. This picture was taken in 1896. It was a new boat bought by SImon. more
Schooner-rigged canal boat off the mouth of Otter Creek. Boats of this type were numerous during the latter half of the 19th century and many a steamboatman got his early training on these schooners. Capt. George Rushlow, for many years general manager of the Champlain Transportation Co's... more