page top

American Legion

Add to bookbag Add to Bookbag | Bookbag (0)

Item Description

Title: American Legion


  • McAllister, L. L. (Louis L.), 1877-1963

Source Document

Extent: 1 image


American Legion building. Listed in the city and telephone directories as being on Malletts Bay Ave. in Winooski in the 1940s. The large painted brick building is seen here adorned with patriotic buntings and banners. 1945/1947?

Genre(s): photographs, black-and-white photographs




Note [Digital Version]

2008-08-26, Center for Digital Initiatives, University of Vermont Libraries

Type of Resource: still image

Parent Collections

Access Conditions

For usage rights related to this resource please visit:
More information.

Permanent Link:

Preferred citation

American Legion, Louis L. McAllister Photographs, Box B01, Folder 04, Item 01, (accessed January 17, 2018)

Add a comment:


* Optional

User Comments

This is not the building on Mallets Bay Avenue. The Winooski Historical Society Newsletter says that building began as the "Elm Street School. It was located on the Corner of Elm Street and Malletts Bay Avenue....The school continued here for another fifty years, and from 1936 till 1939, it served as a local Canning Factory. In 1939, it was sold to the American Legion Post # 32." There's a picture of that building at


This building is located on the NE corner of East Allen St and Barlow St., Winooski, VT. The American Legion used the building in the 1950's-1960's.

- T E DeVarney

This is not the American Legion on Malletts Bay Winooski.If you look real close you can see th eagle on the building,this building is on the corner of Railroad Lane and Weaver St.This is the Eagles Club.Also the former Knights Of Columbus building.

- Mary Mongeon

I do believe Tom DeVarney is right,corner of Barlow and E.Allen St,but it is the Eagles Club

- Mary Mongeon

The picture is of the Present VFW Building located on the corners of Maple and Main Streets This photo appeared as the Mystery photo in our Summer of 2014 Newsletter and was identified in our Fall of 2014 newsletter. Porches have been converted into rooms as it now stands and the entrance has been changed from Main Street to Maple Street.

- Al Blondin Archivist Winooski Historical Society