page top

Saint Joseph's Church and Chapel

Add to bookbag Add to Bookbag | Bookbag (0)

Item Description

Title: Saint Joseph's Church and Chapel

Photographer

  • McAllister, L. L. (Louis L.), 1877-1963

Source Document

Extent: 1 image

Date Created:  , 1951

Description

1951 / 1952 photo of Saint Joseph's Church sanctuary with worshipers. The church, the largest in Vermont, was finished in 1887, but the parish itself began in 1850. A centennial history of the parish was published in 1987 and has a detailed history of the building's design and construction. Here one sees the full panoply of religious artifacts and decoration known before the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, some of which can be seen at St. Joseph's today. These include a reproduction of DaVinci's "Last Supper," numerous statues of saints and angels, at least 3 American flags, perhaps a flag of Vatican City, flowers, plants, and special lighting. In addition, a man standing in the middle of the church appears to be playing a trumpet. The occasion of this particular mass is not known.

Genre(s): photographs, black-and-white photographs

Subject/topic

Subject/name

Subject/geographic

Note [Digital Version]

2009-10-10, Center for Digital Initiatives, University of Vermont Libraries

Type of Resource: still image

Parent Collections

Access Conditions

For usage rights related to this resource please visit: http://cdi.uvm.edu/rights/
More information.

Permanent Link:

http://cdi.uvm.edu/collections/item/mcalB17F11i02

Preferred citation

Saint Joseph's Church and Chapel, Louis L. McAllister Photographs, Box B17, Folder 11, Item 02, http://cdi.uvm.edu/collections/item/mcalB17F11i02 (accessed November 01, 2014)

Add a comment:

*

* Optional

User Comments