page top

Saint Joseph's Church and Chapel

Add to bookbag Add to Bookbag | Bookbag (0)

Item Description

Title: Saint Joseph's Church and Chapel

Photographer

  • McAllister, L. L. (Louis L.), 1877-1963

Source Document

Extent: 1 image

Date Created: 1952

Description

1952 Saint Joseph's Church sanctuary with priest in pulpit (left). Structural items such as the pulpit and the supports holding various statues attached to the columns have been removed, owing to liturgical reforms and audio-technology. The church, the largest in Vermont, was finished in 1887, but the parish itself began in 1850. A centennial history of the parish was published in 1987 and has a detailed history of the building's design and construction. Here one sees the panoply of religious artifacts and decoration known before the Second Vatican Council, some of which can be seen at St. Joseph's today. These include a reproduction, high above the altar, of DaVinci's "Last Supper," numerous statues of saints and angels, at least 3 American flags, perhaps a flag of Vatican City, flowers, plants, and special lighting. Photo no. 6.

Genre(s): photographs, black-and-white photographs

Subject/topic

Subject/name

Subject/geographic

Note [Digital Version]

2009-10-10, Center for Digital Initiatives, University of Vermont Libraries

Type of Resource: still image

Parent Collections

Access Conditions

For usage rights related to this resource please visit: http://cdi.uvm.edu/rights/
More information.

Permanent Link:

http://cdi.uvm.edu/collections/item/mcalB17F11i04

Preferred citation

Saint Joseph's Church and Chapel, Louis L. McAllister Photographs, Box B17, Folder 11, Item 04, http://cdi.uvm.edu/collections/item/mcalB17F11i04 (accessed November 22, 2014)

Add a comment:

*

* Optional

User Comments