page top

Saint Joseph's Church and Chapel

Add to bookbag Add to Bookbag | Bookbag (0)

Item Description

Title: Saint Joseph's Church and Chapel


  • McAllister, L. L. (Louis L.), 1877-1963

Source Document

Extent: 1 image

Date Created:  , 1951


1951 / 1952 Saint Joseph's Church sanctuary with worshipers. The church, the largest in Vermont, was finished in 1887, but the parish itself began in 1850. A centennial history of the parish was published in 1987 and has a detailed history of the building's design and construction. Here one sees the panoply of religious artifacts and decoration known before the Second Vatican Council, some of which can be seen at St. Joseph's today. These include a reproduction, high above the altar, of DaVinci's "Last Supper," numerous statues of saints and angels, at least 3 American flags, perhaps a flag of Vatican City, flowers, plants, candles and special lighting. This particular mass may be the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (Dec. 8), since the parishioners seem dressed for cold weather and there is a large statue of Mary under a canopy, in addition to others in the sanctuary. Photo 5.

Genre(s): photographs, black-and-white photographs




Note [Digital Version]

2009-10-10, Center for Digital Initiatives, University of Vermont Libraries

Type of Resource: still image

Parent Collections

Access Conditions

For usage rights related to this resource please visit:
More information.

Permanent Link:

Preferred citation

Saint Joseph's Church and Chapel, Louis L. McAllister Photographs, Box B17, Folder 11, Item 05, (accessed October 04, 2015)

Add a comment:


* Optional

User Comments