page top

Burlington Streets: Intervale

Add to bookbag Add to Bookbag | Bookbag (0)

Item Description

Title: Burlington Streets: Intervale

Photographer

  • McAllister, L. L. (Louis L.), 1877-1963

Source Document

Extent: 1 image

Date Created: Undated

Description

June 29, 1946. Burlington Street Department - Burlington, Vermont Intervale Road - Asphalt Stabilized base and Armor Coat Wearing Surface This view taken from the railroad crossing looking southerly toward Riverside Ave. shows the mixing process while constructing the stabilized base using asphalt emulsion (XRM) as a binder. The materials used for aggregate on this job was road gravel hauled from the Lunderville Pit in the town of Williston last October and spread approximately 28 feet in width over the entire section from Riverside Ave. to the railroad crossing, a distance of approximately 875 feet. Note the Allis-Chalmers Power Grader mixing the gravel after the asphalt emulsion had been applied by pressure distributor. The Armor Coat Wearing Surface was constructed directly after the stabilized base had been completed. This is a very economical type of paving, especially where a cheaper grade of materials can be used and the location does not demand a higher type of pavement. Note the high embankment in the right background where several thousand cubic yards of filling was loaded by the Street Department with its power shovel and hauled with trucks to widen both sides of Intervale Road on the section between the railroad crossing and Riverside Ave. as well as the grading around the new catch basins and the filling of the ramp on the river bank where the undertile drainage pipe leads to the river. All of this filling was donated free of charge by the owner of the property (Geo. C. Stanley and Sons) to the City as well as a considerable amount of concrete sand and gravel for the construction of concrete catch basins and headwalls in connection with the drainage system. This project, which was approved for construction by the Board of Street Commissioners in June 1945 was practically completed on July 3, 1946 for the first section. The original plans included the second section from the railroad crossing northerly to a point approximately 100 feet northerly by the so-called Pariseau residence. This section was prepared last fall as to the grading and gravel surface and as no underground drainage is necessary it can be completed with very little expense as the only materials necessary to purchase will be asphalt emulsion.

Subject/topic

Subject/name

Note [Digital Version]

2007-12-21, Center for Digital Initiatives, University of Vermont Libraries

Type of Resource: still image

Parent Collections

Access Conditions

For usage rights related to this resource please visit: http://cdi.uvm.edu/rights/
More information.

Permanent Link:

http://cdi.uvm.edu/collections/item/mcalA05F08i06

Preferred citation

Burlington Streets: Intervale, Louis L. McAllister Photographs, Box A05, Folder 08, Item 06, http://cdi.uvm.edu/collections/item/mcalA05F08i06 (accessed September 30, 2014)

Add a comment:

*

* Optional

User Comments