page top

Rebuilding the Vermont State House (1857-1859)

Bookbag (0)
collection image

Collection Overview

In the winter of 1857 the Vermont State House was gutted by fire and a special session of the legislature convened to discuss rebuilding. The legislators appointed three commissioners and a superintendent of construction. George Perkins Marsh of Burlington, Norman Williams of Woodstock and John Porter of Hartford were named to the commission; Dr. Thomas E. Powers of Woodstock was to act as superintendent. A young Vermont sculptor, Larkin G. Mead, Jr., was commissioned to design the statue to top the dome.


Parent Collections

George Perkin Marsh Online Research Center

Related Archival Collection(s)

State House Statues by L. G. Mead, Jr.
An Act to Provide for Rebuilding the State House.
Silloway's Statement of Facts
Vermont Capitol and the Star-Chamber.

Published:  January 05, 2009,  University of Vermont, Bailey/Howe Library, Special Collections


Search Collection:

Browse Options